In these times of political uncertainty, we remember the vast History Behind Architectural Fascist.
The early 20th century was one of the most violent periods in history, due in large part to the increase of nationalism and anti-Semitism in Western Europe.
The chaos of the period was not reflected in the architecture being built at the time. The structures designed and built during the era of Fascist ideology—from the late 1920s through the ’40s—were constructed with an importance on symmetry and simplicity. The often large and majestic structures, championed by leaders like Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, were intended to stoke patriotic enthusiasm. From the Nazi Congress Hall in Nuremberg, Germany, to the Milano Centrale railroad station in Italy, we take a tour into the few Fascist-inspired buildings that are still intact today.
Palazzo Della Civiltà Italiana
Known as the Palace of Italian Civilization or simply the Colosseo Quadrato, was completed in 1937 and was designed by Italian architects Giovanni Guerrini, Ernesto Bruno La Padula and Mario Romano. The structure was built as part of a larger scheme for the 1942 World Fair, which was designed to be held in Rome.
Nazi Congress Hall
Located in Nuremberg, Germany, the former Nazi Congress Hall was built by popular Nazi architect Ludwig Ruff. The structure, which was where Hitler addressed thousands of party faithful, was built next to the Dutzendteich Lake.
Palazzo Dei Congressi
Located in the southern section of Rome, this structure was another building planned for the 1942 World’s Fair. The balanced building was designed by Italian architect Adalberto Libera. The area the construction stands is called EUR, for Esposizione Universale Roma. The planned World’s Fair never took place due to World War II.
Built in 1938, Kehlsteinhaus (better known as Eagle’s Nest) was Hitler’s refuge in the Bavarian Alps. Originally built as a teahouse for the German dictator, the dwelling sits atop the Kehlstein Mountain, some 6,000 feet above ground.
Palazzo Delle Poste di Palermo
The building is now a post office in Palermo, the capital city of Sicily. The large construction was designed by Italian architect Angiolo Mazzoni and completed in 1934. The exterior, which is highlighted by ten columns standing nearly 100 feet tall, was built of reinforced concrete.
Palazzo di Giustizia
Designed by Italian architect Marcello Piacentini and completed in 1940, the Palazzo di Giustizia (Justice Palace) is located in Milan, Italy. The building is still used as a courthouse.
Built in 1931 by Ulisse Stacchini, Milan’s main train station was planned to replace an antiquated structure. Today, the station is one of the most travelled in Europe, supplying some 120 million passengers each year.
Post Via News and Events
Visit our Pinterest Board and find out all the news about design, architecture and arts. Keep up with us and get to know the latest trends.